CSA week 7 2020 is both the 7th week of CSA produce for me and the 1st week of the full CSA season. I participated in the 6-week “pre-season” from Dancing Meadows Homestead because I was so eager for fresh green veggies. And I haven’t been disappointed, not at all!
This week’s box brings more green stuff, of course. Have you ever thought about how many vegetables are green? Almost all the early season produce is green. I’m not upset; this is some pretty wonderful stuff. I’m excited to see garlic scapes and sugar snap peas: two vegetables that are only available for a short time in spring. As soon as the weather is consistently hot, the peas stop producing.
Our share for CSA week 7 includes:
- a big bag of mixed lettuces
- sugar snap peas
- garlic scapes
- and the cutest tiny radishes ever
I’m putting more salads on our supper table ever week. Check out my roundup of great salads to see if you find some inspiration. I’ll add to that visual list from time to time, so feel free to check back.
So what am I thinking about this week? I’m especially thinking about the garlic scapes and snap peas! If you’re looking for asparagus ideas, you might want to check out the lists from the last 2-3 weeks.
- garlic scape pesto
- white bean & garlic scape dip
- double garlic soup
- garlic scape herbed cream cheese from Farm Fresh Feasts
- grilled scapes: toss them with olive oil, sprinkle salt & pepper over, grill over direct heat about 2 minutes. Flip, grill 1 minute more. Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon
- simply chopped and added to stir-fries and such
- sesame snap peas from Slender Kitchen
- stir-fried beef with snap peas from Serious Eats
- quick crispy snap peas from Farm Fresh Feasts
- hoisin snap pea & red cabbage slaw from Cookin Canuck
- use as a basting brush when grilling chicken
- lemon/olive oil/oregano marinade for chicken or lamb
- scattered on top of a greek salad