CSA week 13, and it’s tomato season! Beautiful tomatoes, both slicers and Roma paste style, are in the box this week. The box was so heavy that I almost had to ask for help carrying it to my car!
This week’s box holds:
- 1 huge cantaloupe
- about 3 pounds green beans
- 3 big Beefsteak-style tomatoes
- 3 Roma paste tomatoes
- 1 quart of gloriously ripe yellow cherry tomatoes
- a big bunch basil
- 6 ears corn
- 1 ripe red pepper (long style)
- 1 Romanesco broccoli
- some kind of hard-shell winter squash
- 2 big cucumbers
Obviously there’ll be a lot of tomato goodies this week. I’m thinking about a fresh tomato tart with herbed cream cheese.
I have more ideas inspired by this week’s box of produce:
- tomato beef (a sort of faked stir-fry)
- summer vegetable tian (a simple gratin with potatoes and what’s available)
- pasta with Brie and tomatoes (we wait all year to cook this dish that showcases dead-ripe tomatoes)
- grilled corn, tomato, feta, and herb salad (thank you, Serious Eats!)
I think I’ll cut that winter squash in half, roast it in a slow oven until it’s tender and delicious, and then see just what kind of flavor it has. I might put cubes of squash in a salad, or if it’s a chilly day, blend them with some caramelized onions into a fabulously easy soup. It’s hard to go wrong with great produce.