CSA week 18: oh, it’s definitely autumn in the farmers’ market. I still see tomatoes and green beans – those will continue until first frost – but turnips, beets, squash, broccoli, and cauliflower dominate the scene. It’s time to finish any preserving I’ve left until the last minute, and then turn my attention to the cooler weather crops.
We have a heavy box this week – some of these items weigh a lot. This week, our box contains:
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 big butternut squash
- 3 cucumbers
- 4 beets
- 2 turnips
- 2 red pimento peppers
- big bunch of carrots
- green beans
- one huge onion
It’s definitely time to do whatever it is that I’ll want to do with fresh tomatoes this year, because frost comes all too soon. I’ll pull forward some posts from the archive in case you all would like ideas.
This week’s box makes me think about:
- autumn lasagna with squash, sausage, and sage
- butternut squash soup from Cookie and Kate
- beet salad with feta & walnuts
- carrot ginger soup
- quick pickles: refrigerator dill spears from Food in Jars
- roasted cauliflower with bacon & garlic from Steamy Kitchen
- a hearty beef stew, with onion and turnips
- roasted lemon-Parmesan green beans from Two Peas and Their Pod
What are the first things you want to cook, when the weather turns chilly? Comment here or on my Facebook page – I love to hear from you!