CSA week 8 2020 from Dancing Meadows Homestead brings more garlic scapes, hooray! I can’t get enough of them. They’re delicious in so many preparations – and how can anyone fail to smile at the twisty curly things?
Of course our distribution is still green. This is, after all, still quite early in our growing season. After a winter of roots, it’s exciting to have as much fresh salad as I want. Start with a layer of impeccably fresh greens, and improvise from there: it’s hard to go wrong.
Our share for CSA week 8 includes:
- our first head of leaf lettuce
- thin podded snow peas
- garlic scapes
- and onion thinnings
This week I’m looking forward to using the garlic scapes and snow peas. We have enough snow peas for perhaps 2 fantastic meals.
- garlic scape pesto
- white bean & garlic scape dip I made this last week: so good!
- double garlic soup
- garlic scape herbed cream cheese from Farm Fresh Feasts
- grilled scapes: toss them with olive oil, sprinkle salt & pepper over, grill over direct heat about 2 minutes. Flip, grill 1 minute more. Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon
- simply chopped and added to stir-fries and such
- stir fry, nearly anything with snow peas is classic, and excellent
- lightly sautéed and drizzled with sesame oil
- shrimp with snow peas from Rasa Malaysia
- quick sesame snow peas & carrots from Family Food on the Table
- use as a basting brush when grilling chicken
- lemon/olive oil/oregano marinade for chicken or lamb
- scattered on top of a greek salad