- 2 large tomatoes, very ripe
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 small red onion (or 2-3 fat green onions)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs of your choice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced fine (optional)
Peel and slice the red onion very thinly. Taste it – if it’s too hot for your taste, soak the slices in a bowl of ice-water and store in the fridge for about an hour, they’ll be milder then. Chop the tomatoes roughly; you should have about 2 cups. Peel the cucumbers and halve them lengthwise, and then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and gel. Slice them crosswise in chunks.
In a large bowl, mix the oil and vinegar well, then add garlic and herbs. Put the tomatoes and cucumbers (and onion, when it’s to your liking) in the bowl, toss well to combine. Let this sit in the refrigerator so that the flavors meld – at least 30 minutes, but it’s even better after 3 hours.