I’ve joined the Sunday Supper Movement, a group of bloggers dedicated to bringing back family supper on Sundays. You’ll find some great ideas for family-friendly meals. I urge you to commit to share Sunday Supper at least once a month this year! The best gift we can give our family and friends is to hug, laugh, share our stories, and enjoy great meals together.
I’m a rustic cook. I don’t like to fuss much and I favor the simple but fabulous. This is especially evident when I cook a chicken. Butter under the skin? Brining? Trussing? Too involved, and generally not for me. I like a simple approach: shove some herbs and aromatics into the chicken and just roast it. This is one of the easiest things in the world to cook. There’s a little prep, then an hour or so of unattended roasting, giving the cook lots of time to assemble the rest of supper.
Simple but fabulous demands good ingredients to start with. I get my chicken right from the farmer at my local farmers’ market, and most of my herbs from the garden patch just outside my kitchen door. Get the best ingredients you can, and your meals will taste their best.
I favor classic combinations. The aromatics I use most often are lemon or onion – both will add moisture and flavor to the chicken. My standby herbs are rosemary, sage, or thyme. Experiment to find your own combinations!
Link to recipe: simple roast chicken
As part of the Sunday Supper Movement, I and a host of other food bloggers are pleased to present to you some of our favorite last-minute holiday recipes. Check these recipes out below, and be sure to pin your favorites! Sunday Supper bloggers love being pinned!
Appetizers and Soups
- Borscht from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls from Wallflour Girl
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms from Runner’s Tales
- Creamy Zucchini Soup from Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Garlic Chili Tiger Prawns from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Bacon Ranch Boneless Chicken Wings from From Gate to Plate
- Lion’s Head Meatball Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- New England Seafood Chowder from Curious Cuisiniere
- Potato and Carrot Leek Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steve’s Crab Dip from Monica’s Table
- Almond Breaded Pork Chops from Casa de Crews
- Beef Roast Dinner from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Bourbon Glazed Porkchops from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cauliflower Tetrazzini from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Pot Pie from Feeding Big and more
- Chicken Supreme in Yorkshire Puddings from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cranberry Mustard Pork Chop Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Fideua (Catalan pasta paella) from Caroline’s Cooking
- French-Inspired Macaroni and Cheese from MyGourmetConnection
- Grandma’s Fried Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Veggie Bowl from Fearless Dining
- Huevos Rancheros from Palatable Pastime
- Indian Spiced Roast Salmon from Soni’s Food
- Korean Spicy Braised Swordfish from kimchi MOM
- Larb Gai (Spicy Thai Chicken Salad) from Rhubarb and Honey
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Mediterranean Flatbread from Magnolia Days
- Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Orchietti Pasta with Swiss Chard and White Cannelini Beans from Delaware Girl Eats
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower from Nosh My Way
- Red Wine-Mushroom Braised Short Ribs from The Crumby Cupcake
- Rustic Portuguese Chicken Stew from Family Foodie
- Salsa Verde Turkey Shepherd’s Pie from Food Done Light
- Sausage & Pasta in a Quick Tomato Sauce from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Simple, Healthy, Light and Lemony Fettuccine from MidLife Road Trip
- Simple Roast Chicken from Get the Good Stuff
- Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Smothered Pork Chops from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spinach Spätzli with Sage and Speck from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ultimate Mac and Cheese from Our Good Life
- Vegan Mexican Rice and Lentils from PancakeWarriors
- Ziti with Porcini Bolognese Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Gramma Buckholt’s Yeast Rolls from The Weekend Gourmet
- Lager and Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls from Wholistic Woman
- Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit with Chocolate Gravy from Brunch with Joy
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting from Flour On My Face
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart from Taste And See
- Death by Chocolate from Desserts Required
- Fudge Frosted Brownies from Party Food and Entertaining
- Gluten Free Tropical Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffins from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Layered Mousse Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pistachio Macaron with Apricot Ganache from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Take the Sunday Supper Month Pledge plus Family Friendly Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Help us celebrate National Sunday Supper Month by entering the Idaho® Potato Let’s Poutine recipe contest, sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission, with prizes of $500, $200 and $100, plus a ticket for each winner to Food Wine Conference 2016. All the rules and conditions for entry can be found on our Sunday Supper Movement website.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.