Makes 1 1/2 cups – adapted from the New York Times, June 2008. It combines a smooth texture with an irresistible garlic punch.
- 1/3 c sliced garlic scapes (3 to 4)
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt, more to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
Get out your food processor: process garlic scapes with lemon juice, salt and pepper until finely chopped. Add drained cannellini beans and process to a rough purée.
With motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through feed tube and process until fairly smooth. Pulse in 2 or 3 tablespoons water, or more, until mixture is the consistency you like for a dip. Taste it, and then add more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice, depending on your preferences.
Spread out dip on a plate or in a wide bowl. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, and serve.