CSA week 18 2020: larger tomatoes this week, though we’ll need to ripen them on the windowsill. The weather’s turned cooler, so I guess that tomatoes suffer a bit. It has not been a good year for tomatoes around here. We also have a big bunch of chard and lots of green things: arugula, lettuce, parsley, lemon balm.
We’ll still be eating salads! I’m thinking that an arugula salad goes really well on top of pizza. Salads in general are going to focus less on cooling and crisp, and more toward hardy and savory. Bits of roasted sweet potato, or slices of apple, are likely to be found among the greens.
This week in our basket:
- tomatoes: one heirloom slicer, and 4 paste for sauce
- 2 pattypan squash
- lemon balm
- young leaf lettuce
- big bunch Swiss chard
ideas for the week ahead
We’re going to be patient with the tomatoes – though later in the month, green tomato pizza is definitely a possibility. When the paste tomatoes are ripe, they’ll become a very small batch of intense sauce, which we’ll probably eat right away. I’m thinking I’ll roast thick slices of the pattypan squash, melt some cheese on top, add garlicky bread crumbs, and serve with that tomato sauce – a deconstructed pattypan Parmesan. Come to think of it, that would be splendid with a simply dressed arugula salad. It’s a plan!
More ideas for the week:
- chard simply sautéed with garlic
- chard, feta, & leek frittata from Dishing up the Dirt
- and one with potatoes: chard frittata from Serious Eats
- arugula, couscous, & feta salad
- lemon balm tea (technically, a tisane)
- honey lemon balm spritzer from She Wears Many Hats