CSA week 19 2020: big green tomatoes this week, due to be ripened on the counter. Our farmer tells us that this year, they’re just not ripening quickly: they’re starting to show cracks, so they’re being harvested now. The weather isn’t on our side, either; we’ve been flirting with freezes at night.
Look at the abundant greens! Our salads will definitely shift to show the new season. I’m thinking thin slices of apple or pear, toasted nuts or pepitas, sweet potato, cauliflower, lentils. We won’t need crunchy and cooling once the thermometer drops!
This week in our basket:
- big bunch Swiss chard
- 2 quarts mixed young lettuce
- 1 quart arugula
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 3 big green heirloom tomatoes
- a wonderful bunch of dill
ideas for the week ahead
- Greek chard pie with feta, eggs, and dill
- and one with potatoes: chard frittata from Serious Eats
- Alice Waters’ chard gratin via Serious Eats
- oven roasted potatoes with lemon & dill
- summer tian with yellow squash, potatoes, and tomatoes
- and once those tomatoes are really ripe: tomato gratin, a family favorite