CSA week 22 2020: it’s definitely autumn now. We’re getting the very last of the tomatoes, some cool-weather radishes and greens, and some lovely apples. Not to mention last week’s box, about which I mysteriously failed to post!
Taken together, these boxes are a picture of autumn on the farm. This week’s basket (CSA week 22), on the left: heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Swiss chard, mixed young lettuces, celery, black radishes, dill, watermelon radishes, 2 ears of corn, and 4 little Fuji apples. The tomatoes couldn’t possibly ripen on the vine, but will ripen on our windowsill instead. We’ve already eaten half those apples: so small and sweet.
Last week’s basket (CSA week 21), on the right: 1 small pumpkin, 2 little red kuri squash, dill, purple beans, mixed young lettuces, Swiss chard, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes. The red kuri need to cure for a bit in cool storage before we eat them. We’re excited about all this colorful and delicious food.
our ideas for the week ahead
- miso-squash soup from Serious Eats
- gratin of kuri squash and potatoes from La Tartine Gourmande
- squash, simply roasted with olive oil & salt, drizzled with maple syrup
- black radishes, peeled & shredded raw with apples, carrots, lemon & mint
- roasted black radishes
- watermelon radishes shaved thin, in salads
- quick-pickled watermelon radishes from Serious Eats
- chard sautéed with garlic
- chard with olives from Simply Recipes